Hello everyone, I’m Ida & Welcome to Toxins 101
Today we are gonna talk about toxic chemicals that are found in our everyday personal care and home goods that we need to start reducing now.
In addition to 7 million accidental poisonings each year in America from chemicals in the home, chemically-manufactured household cleaners are the number 1 contributor to air pollution indoors, where air quality is 7 times more polluted than the outdoors, even when considering pollution caused by vehicles and factories!
A 15-year study revealed that women who work at home have a 54% higher risk of developing certain health problems than women who work away from the home. The only thing linked to this increased risk was increased exposure to household cleaners!
And it gets worse when you consider the toxic chemicals in our personal care products! From antiperspirants to perfumes, from toothpastes to skin care products, Americans have been unknowingly poisoning themselves and their families with hundreds of chemical compounds that the body is unequipped to deal with.
Experts agree that anyone serious about experiencing improved health today and in the long-run must begin to replace products made with toxic chemicals, with personal care and household products that are safe for the body. And what if there were some products that were simpler, less-expensive, and more effective than the toxic products? Wouldn’t you at last want to give them a try?
Let’s talk about common household cleaners available at every grocery store and drug store in the nation. One common name-brand All-Purpose Spray with Bleach warns to “avoid prolonged or repeated skin contact” and “prolonged breathing of vapor.” But this product is designed to be used in areas that can often have poor ventilation, and who wants to break out a gas mask and industrial-strength rubber gloves every time you wipe down your counters or sink? Let’s look at one common name-brand bathtub cleaner, Comet. It has been used in millions of American households for decades, yet it gives off chlorine fumes for up to 2 weeks after use, and leaves a gritty residue behind. This product can cause “coughing or irritation of nose and throat”, and contact with the skin may cause “superficial temporary irritation”. In individuals with lung issues this product may lead to “reduced lung function”. Even worse, one of the ingredients in this product is a known carcinogen in animals.
Now let’s look at the warnings on a common brand of toilet bowl cleaner. You can’t have any skin contact with this product or even inhale it without it causing some sort of problem. For any contact with your skin, the label says to “IMMEDIATELY flush with plenty of water for at least 15-20 minutes.” Of course, if accidentally ingested, you have to call the Poison Control Center and face “mucosal damage”. If this product has any accidental contact with the eyes, you have to flush your eyes for 15-20 minutes with water and then call the Poison Control Center. If this product is accidentally mixed with any other cleaning product, “hazardous gases may be released.”
Does this sound like a product you want in your home? We’ve all been sold that there’s no alternative — the only way to have a clean toilet bowl is to work with a poisonous substance that gives off toxic fumes well after you’re done using it. This is complete nonsense.
Lastly, have you ever noticed that your tube of toothpaste has a warning on it that if you swallow their product you should call the Poison Control Center? Toxic toothpaste ingredients include sodium fluoride — an ingredient of rat poison that not only may not help to strengthen teeth, but has been linked to dental fluorosis (chalky or brown discoloration and even brittleness of teeth), lowered IQ, hindered thyroid function, impaired gastrointestinal function and more. Fluoride was reportedly added to the water in Nazi Concentration Camps as well as the Soviet Gulag (labor camps) to make the prisoners more complacent and easier to control. Besides fluoride, other toxic chemicals and additives are routine ingredients in toothpastes and mouthwashes making them some of the most toxic substances in our homes. The irony is we’re putting it in our mouths where we don’t even have to swallow it for it poison us slowly! Many of these toxins can be absorbed into the bloodstream right through the lining of the cheeks. But who wants bad breath and cavities? Anyone (raise hand)? The mouth is the dirtiest place on the body, and Thieves oil is powerful for oral care because of its cleansing properties!
There is one simple solution that once you try it, you’ll realize it kicks ALL of these toxic cleaners to the curb in both its effectiveness, and is a safe alternative… Switch to plant-based products, don’t be fooled my “green-washed” products, download the Think Dirty app (anything 3 or over forget about it), always read your labels, and have fun making some plant-based products yourself at home #DIY.