Holistic wellness is described differently by each person, but the concept generally relates to one’s sense of purpose, life’s meaning, our relationship to other people and a self-awareness to these things as well as the overall wellbeing of our mind and body.
Seven Habits for Holistic Wellness
- Meditation has been practiced by leaders of all major religions and non-religious people alike. Meditation is the process of being fully here, with all concentration focused on the now. By living in the present and letting go of the past and not worrying about the future, we can achieve the inner peace that we strive- mitigating worry, alleviating stress, finding forgiveness and achieving clarity in our purpose. The Headspace App provides a simple non-religious guide to meditation that many have found invaluable. It is available at the App Store or Google Play.
- Yoga is a physical technique that can help improve your spiritual wellness by reducing emotional and physical strains on your mind and body. Yoga is taught at all levels and can help lower stress, boost the immune system and lower blood pressure as well as reduce anxiety, depression, fatigue, and insomnia. Search for a local yoga studio near you (Google Search), or download apps such as Yoga Studio.
- Essentia Oils Aromatic herbs and oils, including essential oils, have been an integral part of the spiritual practices of many religions and cultures throughout history. If a particular essential oil personally speaks out to you, consider incorporating it within your own spiritual practices after you have learned about the oil and understand any warnings or contraindications associated with the oil. As an Aromatherapist I can help you delve deeper into oils and herbs.
- Travel can allow us to temporarily leave our day-to-day obligations in order to obtain perspective, contemplate deeper questions, reflect on our experiences and obtain rest. National Geographic Expeditions offers some of the most interesting travel information in the world, though a trip to your local state park can sometimes even be more enlightening (Google search ‘my local state parks’)!
- Volunteering can provide for a healthy spiritual life. Like bathing, serving others through volunteering is best repeated frequently. Search for a local rescue mission or food pantry.
- Mentoring – whether as a professional mentor or personal mentor – is a beneficial spirit builder as you are helping others achieve their dreams. Community mentoring programs such as Big Brothers/Big Brothers or mentoring opportunities through professional organizations or colleges
- Energy Medicine-Therapies – Energy medicine-therapy aims to help the flow of energy and remove blocks in a similar way to acupuncture or acupressure. Improving the flow of energy in and around the body, it can enable relaxation, reduce pain, speed healing, and reduce other symptoms of illness.
What do you think?
What techniques have been successful for you? What would you recommend to others?